WE ARE HIRING: Executive Director!
GIRLS ACTION FOUNDATION
Position type: Permanent, full-time
Reports to: Co-chairs of the Board of Directors
About Girls Action Foundation
With over 20 years of experience, Girls Action Foundation is a national registered charity located in Montreal, Quebec. Through its local, regional and national programs & network, Girls Action builds girls’ and young women’s leadership skills and confidence to inspire action to change the world.
Working in collaboration with members across the country, Girls Action reaches over 60,000 girls and young women in urban and remote communities, including those in the North.
Girls Action Foundation is recruiting a dynamic professional to lead the organization. The ideal candidate has extensive nonprofit management experience, possesses a strong understanding of intersectionality, feminism, popular education and is passionate about working collaboratively to create spaces for girls and young women to be powerful agents of social change.
About the Position
Reporting to the Co-Chairs of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director plays a key role in developing and implementing Girls Action Foundation’s strategic operational plan to realize the organization’s mission and goals.
- Provides vision and direction for the development and execution of Girls Action Foundation’s strategic directions;
- Develops and enables new and innovative programs and approaches, that support the growth and empowerment of girls and young women;
- Maintains relationships with contributors and collaborators, including a large network of organizations facilitating gender-specific programming in Canada, academics and other thought leaders;
- Seizes opportunities to positively impact Girls Action Foundation’s program activity and resource levels to bring the organization to its next level of growth;
- Leads the continuous improvement of Girls Action Foundation’s performance through analysis and the development and implementation of sound programmatic and financial management practices and procedures, and direction and guidance of management staff, processes, and tools to increase efficiencies and improve effectiveness of the organization’s activities;
- Collaboratively develops policies and practices in line with feminist and anti-oppressive values that will help the organization to improve our work;
· Ensures a healthy and productive work environment, based on anti-oppressive principles, policies and procedures;
· Leads, motivates and builds the capacity of a diverse team, ensures effective teamwork, provides resolution to human resource issues, ensures high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and innovation in the staff team;
· In collaboration with the Fundraising Team, maintains relationships with funders, and pursues new funding relationships aligned with the vision and values of the organization;
· Works with the Fundraising Team to ensure Girls Action Foundation’s revenue generation activities and strategy goals are reached;
· Oversees the administration of all funding agreements with third parties, including government, and ensuring compliance with all terms and conditions specified in such agreements;
· In concert with partners and collaborators, contributes to the success of a national public policy agenda on girls through a bold and resonant advocacy strategy;
· Represents Girls Action Foundation and acts as a spokesperson for the organization;
Board Governance and Fiscal Accountability
· Oversees the financial health of the organization and manages all budgets and financial reporting;
· Provides advice and counsel to the Board to assist in setting policies and monitoring organization performance, and facilitates the work of the Board and its committees by providing appropriate information and reports, and assisting committee chairs as necessary;
· Prepares Girls Action Foundation’s annual operating and program plans and related budgets for approval and oversight by the Board of Directors.
- Seven years or more experience in progressive management/leadership positions leading a team to accomplish social justice objectives in a national/regional organization;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and inspire staff, members, project partners and volunteers;
- A collaborative leadership style that supports a consultative decision-making approach in a diverse team while balancing clear lines of accountability within the organization’s management team and networks;
- Proven track record in (indirectly/ directly) generating philanthropic revenue from the public and private sector (foundations, corporations and individuals);
- Extensive experience in successfully pursuing funding applications and developing and administering budgets to ensure fiscal accountability and effective use of resources;
- Demonstrated commitment and experience with feminist and anti-oppression frameworks to advance gender equity and considerable experience working with diverse stakeholders;
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues related to Canadian girls and young women (and those who support them), especially Indigenous and racialized young women, including an understanding of the cultural and historical context affecting different groups of girls and young women;
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex operating and policy issues, evaluation frameworks, program interrelationships and potential consequences of intended policy actions;
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills with the ability to effectively represent the organization with various stakeholders, especially media; and
- Strong command of spoken and written English and French.
· Work out of the Girls Action Foundation office located in Montreal, Quebec;
· Some weekend and evening work will be required for events and meetings;
· Occasional travel locally, regionally, and nationally as required;
· Competitive starting salary to be negotiated depending on experience. Competitive benefits program, professional development opportunities and a fun and dynamic work environment.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter via email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday May 1st by 5 p.m. EDT. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and relevant candidates may be contacted for an interview before the closing date (May 1st),
The Girls Action Foundation is committed to diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from young people, members of racialized groups, Indigenous and LGBTQ communities.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Girls Action Foundation but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you have any questions about the job posting please feel free to contact Board of Director Jillian Kilfoil via email email@example.com or by phone 514-267-2659.